The mission of the Office of the General Counsel is to provide a full range of legal and legislative guidance and services to the Director, senior managers, and staff of the DMA on media operations, products and services, including but not limited to:
- visual information;
- print publications;
- radio and television news, information, and entertainment programming;
- joint public affairs, broadcasting, and visual information training and
- web operations, emerging internet, mobile, and related media.
In accomplishing this mission, the Office of General Counsel provides advice and support in the areas of:
- intellectual property law (copyrights and trademarks);
- personnel and labor law;
- freedom of information and privacy matters;
- legal clearance of broadcast, print and visual information materials;
- international agreements;
- acquisition and procurement law;
- communications, broadcasting, cable and emerging distribution technologies laws, rules and regulations;
- negotiations with major networks, broadcast unions and guilds, sports associations and leagues, program syndicators and distributors, and foreign performing rights societies; and
- negotiations regarding satellite rules and regulations; and rules regarding publications and periodicals such as European and Pacific Stars and Stripes, and the Soldier, Airman, All Hands, and Marines magazines.
The Office of General Counsel additionally
- prepares and reviews for legal sufficiency directives, instructions, memorandums, and correspondence for the signature of the Director, DMA
- provides legal opinions that incorporate recommendations for specific remedial actions or alternative proposals to accomplish desired results in ways that are legally sufficient and in accordance with policy while avoiding undesirable consequences;
- drafts legislation or prepare complete reports on changes in existing law; and
- evaluates proposed and newly enacted legislation to identify their impact on DMA programs and policies.
The General Counsel of DMA serves as the Deputy Designated Agency Ethics Official (Deputy DAEO) for all personnel, military and civilian, assigned to DMA with the same authority and responsibilities as those of the DAEO under applicable ethics and standards of conduct regulations; and serves as The Chief Civil Liberties and Privacy Officer for DMA.